Saturday, July 9, 2016

Home

I grew up in a Christian home. My mom was raised Pentecostal, my father a Lutheran. My brother and I were raised Presbyterian. I loved the church I grew up in. Classes were very organized, services were beautiful (though I would usually draw during them), the camps that they had were amazing. University Presbyterian did a very good job of walking the line between entertaining and educating.

My love of my childhood church would not last.

When I was still a child I received a care package from one of my God Mothers, in it were a few items she thought a Christian girl should have. The most important item Admiral Hazard sent me was a prayer, a prayer to Jesus decorated with the Heart of Christ. This prayer has followed me my life, I am looking at it as I type this. It usually hangs above my bed, I do not prayer it daily, it does however remind me to prayer as I get into bed each night. This care package made me realize their was more to Christianity than how I was raised, it was because of this package that I first felt I should join a religious order.

My love of the prayer has never decreased, only increased.

There was a children's program I saw while I had pertussis, it had a live action of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I fell in love with her that day. I knew I was not a Catholic, I was a Presbyterian, however I knew that she would be important to me my whole life.


My love of Our Lady was odd for a Presbyterian, and that has lasted through everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment