Saturday, July 9, 2016

Influences

I grew up Presbyterian
My mom was raised Pentecostal
My dad was raised Lutheran
My God Mother, Roberta Hazard, was Catholic
I touched a toe in each

When I was in high school I visited a Lutheran church, loved the service and its weekly communion
When I was treated poorly by my childhood church I spent most of my time at Lutheran services

As an adult a dear friend invited me to go to Saint Mark's Cathedral, it was the feast of the Pentecost. By the end of the service I knew I was home.


People whose faith influenced me, feels almost like a mathematical equation. Sharon Blackford a cradle Episcopalian and Admiral Roberta Hazard a strong Catholic. So my being a Catholic leaning Episcopalian is rather expected.  My favourite authors also mirror this situation, The greatest Catholic writer and the greatest protestant writer;  JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment