Monday, June 18, 2012

Notes from back in the day


As someone that does research on Geek Girl Culture, there needs to be more dealt with than just Geek Girl culture, but also the over arching female culture, and this is a poem I received while taking a class on the image of women throughout history.



Barbie Enters a Contemplative Order

"Sister Barbie" has a nice ring, don't you think?  And where else is there to go when you're sick of the dream house?  A girl can only take so much pink.  I've done the globe -- gone from Native American buckskin to Indian sari.  With the right outfit, I'll fit anywhere, straddle the ages: from Pilgrim Goody to Dead Head Barbie, from Mary Magdalene to Jackie O.  Sans crow's feet, sagging boobs and bunions, time's tno stumbling block.

I've tried on Dorothy's pinfore and pigtails, though I couldn't click the ruby slippers.  Glinda's puffed-sleeve prom dress fit me too, and her star-tipped magic glittered in my hand.  Poor Ken, with the fake ticker stitched to his Tin Man chest, made me consider what I've missed.  Made me want to sing, "If I only had a clit."

So I was ready for my stint as Rapunzel Barbie.  But after Ken hung, tangled in my braids, found himself tossed into my bower, we couldn't think of anything to do but pose.  Who'd have believed, I'd want to lose my hair?

But first, on to Grecian Goddess Barbie, though which one?  Must be Aphrodite.  Fleet-footed Artemis wouldn't be caught dead in all that fru-fru.  Ringlets, and bracelets, and crown: oh my!  I would have made a cute Persephone, my lips painted a pouty pomegranate.  Or why not Demeter, Mother Extraordinaire?  Why not Hestia, the happy house-frau?  Why not Hecate, gaunt and wizened Godess of the Crossroads?

It's her realm Sister Barbie crosses into, where I'll face down wrinkles and decay, as long as I don't - please God - meet up with Father Ken in this get-up, I'll just die.  Think of it as entering a whole new world of accessories - trading jewels for rosary, pocketbooks for prayer book.  I'll enter singing "If I only had a soul."



There will likely be more notes from back in the day, especially now that I no longer have scheduled research time.  The lack of scheduled research also means what will be appearing here will get more and more random until everything starts to come together for publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment