Monday, July 11, 2016

Checklist

In this process to write a spiritual autobiography I have looked at questions to help me organize thoughts.  I found a Spiritual Formation Assessment that gave a checklist, I went over the list, and as it suggested it might I learned something about myself, and show me where I could improve.  I certainly saw where I could improve, while I checked the boxes I saw myself not answering the question but describing my answer.

Here goes

  • I practice some form of personal prayer
    • Every morning, as part of a routine
  • I pray with other Christians
    • I rarely spend time in prayer with others outside of services
  • I read my Bible devotionally
    • As part of my morning routine (BCP)
  • I read spiritual writings
    • While busing.  If I am busing I am probably reading.  When I bus is currently random, I am hoping that getting a normal job will increase my reading times.
  • I study the Scriptures
    • As part of my morning routine (BCP) 
  • I spend time by myself in quiet solitude or silence
    • I spend a short time as part of my daily routine, I am trying to add more silence and music to my life.
  • I fast or engage in other deliberate acts to simplify my life from over-dependence on material things]
    • I cut something for a short time every week, but I could do more I just am not taking that step
  • I keep a personal journal of my thoughts, feelings, and prayers
    • I make notes, they are random and not all in one place.  I am hoping this space will once again be where I post such things, and I hope other will keep me accountable
  • I contribute from my financial resources through
    • Tithing and offerings as I can, when I can.  Money is so tight I commonly go to a local church instead of going all the way to my parish.
  • I participate in the ministry of my local church
    • I was in the women's choir at St Mark's however that was cut, I have yet to find a new ministerial home.
  • I engage in some form of ministry or service to the poor and needy in my world
    • While I have not found a new ministerial home at St Mark's, I have found a place where my skills are useful.  I volunteer at the STAR Center (Special Technology Access Resource), I run the computer lab as well as the Facebook page.  I enjoy giving my time, I enjoy the people who use the lab, I love the love that I feel here.
  • I participate in a worship service in a local church
    • As often as I can, I would like to say I go weekly, possibly with some during the week, however that is not something I can afford.  This is another thing I hope will improve once I have a job.
  • I practice "sabbath" as a period set aside for rest and renewal
    • I try to do as little projects on Sunday as possible.  It is not a day for laundry, or whitewashing the fence (which would not work anyway).
  • I receive spiritual direction from a spiritual guide or mentor
    • I have a few people I use for this, and I talk with at least one of them every month.
  • I participate in a small group where I can share, seek guidance, and be held accountable for growth
    • I have friends that I see at least one of them a week, we only get together as a group once a month or so.
  • I enjoy social interaction (fellowship and celebration) with brother and sisters in Christ
    • Much less than I would like.  This is another point where I hope having a job would change and increase my ability to afford to go to other or bring others to me.
  • I engage in a personal care practice that build my physical, mental, and/or emotional life
    • I do yoga as part of my morning routine, I see a therapist every other week, but how I could do more.  I could join a gym and get more of a workout, I could do some much.  I am stuck for the moment, but I will not let it stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment