Sunday, May 8, 2011

Names mean everything and nothing

A name cannot decide what a person will become, naming your son Bill does not mean they will end up starting a tech company in their garage that will become one of the biggest names in the tech sphere. People will treat some names differently, naming your son Adolf could go badly, especially if the last name is very German.

Names, name meanings, and two people that have nothing in common except a name has caused me to think about this a bit too much.

I spent a couple of months at one point dealing names and their meanings wanting to have names that meant good things, that could not be turned into horrible nicknames, are easy enough for young people to pronounce without raping them, had good nickname options, and a few other things. This could come across as crazy as I am not planning on having kids just yet, and I was not in a relationship at the time, but once it was brought up in conversation that OCD would not let it go until I had something, OK, maybe that just proves the crazy. But naming a son Ruler Christ-Bearer, will not decide who they are, nor will Protector of Mankind Supplanter, or a daughter Mistress of the Sea Jade, but none mean things that someone would hide from, and outside Lex no bad nicknames can come from them.

My name means Bitter Honey Protector, I go by a shortened version of my middle name, that in and of itself has the meaning of Odd. I do not think bitter fits me, honey seems acceptable, but as the usually shortening of it that keeps the meaning makes me want to punch people, and when I first started going by the second half I did not know it meant something on its own, was more than a little amused when I found out that it meant odd, which fits me better than anything besides crazy.

The thing that has been weighing heavy in my thoughts the last couple of weeks were the people that made me sexually who I am, and how crazy their names our. There was one person that made me so happy, even though we were not each others primary, that caused me to see nothing in the opposite sex. I cannot say she nearly turned me lesbian, I can say she nearly made me forget my interest in the opposite sex. When things where getting right where I stopped looking at males I saw someone I had crushed on throughout high school. We bumped into each other and we were being completely non-sexual in nature, but simply dealing with him caused me to rethink. She nearly turned me, and he kept me straight. It was not until much later that I found out that they had the same last name (when I knew her she was not going by her birth name, at least not her last name).

Names mean so little and yet so much, much like there is no unique event and yet every moment is unique. Maybe had I been raised in a situation where one parent is a philosopher and the other is a political idealist, I would not question everything to such minor details, like what I might name my kids one day, or how I have had relationships with people that have the same last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment