Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Geek Girl Con comments

At last PAX I met a roller derby girl that was starting a con, for female geeks, and those that are female geek friendly (not in the creepy way, get thee mind out of the gutter).  I was excited to have something so perfect for my research right here (Seattle being the social home for the geeks is great for me, and the research).  Sadly as time has moved on the convention has been getting more and more clique, which is one of the major reasons I have so few female friends, just because girls are raised to be clique by social rules does not mean we need to actually act like that, in fact the same social rules are the ones being broken by the mere existence of there being geek enough to even consider having a convention, let alone actually putting it on.  I hope that this problem is noticed and fixed in time to keep the convention around, but at this point there is no way I will be going, writing on the cliquish behavior is not something I need to go to GGC to do, and I really do not want to give a chapter in my book to them (damn the original concept draft of the book).  I really do hope they change, and if my book ends up getting a second version, I hope they will be ready to take the place they were to have in the current one.

No comments:

Post a Comment