Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easy A

Just watched Easy A, and while I really liked the movie this post is just about what it got me thinking about, and the discussion I had with a friend during it.

Towards the end there is a scene where Olive and her mother are talking.  My friend teases me that I will be a mom like her.  I started crying, not because being a mom like that would be bad, but because I just want to be a mom who is proud of her kids no matter what.  I know if I had a daughter like Olive I would be proud, very proud.  I know if I had a son like Todd I would be proud, would be more proud to have a kid like him in every way, except that he stands up for her in front of others, not just in private.  But I know if I somehow ended up with someone like any of the "Christian" kids I would have serious reservations about being proud of them, not because they are "Christian", but because there are in name only.  I pray I never have a kid that needs to pay someone to make them not the lowest person on the social totem pole.  If I have a son that is straight edge, the perfect model of innocents, I want him to know that his mother is proud of him being everything I am not.

Some people say that we have kids just to punish them, some say we have kids to better the world, when I have kid(s) I want to have them because they will be a symbol of love, and I want to learn from what was wrong in my childhood, and take what was good.  I know it is too much to say I want to be the perfect mother someday, but I can say that one day I want to be a mother, and I want to be a mother that loves her kids no matter how I ruin them.

No comments:

Post a Comment