Sunday, September 22, 2013

Church

I grew up in a very large church.  Over the years I have been to quite a few churches, a couple larger than my first, my smaller.  I liked the small feeling at the small churches, but they never felt like home.

My mom and I are about as different as two Christians can be, without one being the crazy right wing kind.  She prefers small churches, I prefer large.  She prefers chuches that are very active during service, I do not. I prefer very structured services, she prefers that the leader follow what they feel God wants them to do in the moment.  I prefer a church that teaches love, my mom prefers that the church have love and fear of God in equal measure.

When I pray I lift my face toward the heavens.  When my mom prays her head is bowed.  I go to church to fill myself with love, I cannot say why my mom goes to church as I have never asked.  We view church and God so very differently, that we cannot understand each others view of church.

No comments:

Post a Comment